Monday, March 04, 2013

2013 Race season numbah one

This winter was tough...I mean TOUGH! Utah had record low average temps and repeated snowstorms meant we all were suffering some pretty nasty cabin fever. To top it off, it had been a wonderful season for new bugs to inflict and torment man. I had been sick, off an on, for almost two months. I was so sick of being sick. But the schedule wouldn't wait for me to get well, so off I went to Saint George.
I had made some pretty lofty goals coming into the season but the way I was feeling, this was going to be a survival race. Meaning just finish the best I can.
I was proud to see two of my high school racers take part in this race. They both had good results and a fine start to their season. I didn't get any kind of report from them other than they were both kind disappointed by their result. But I know better. They did GREAT!
I lined up surrounded mostly by new faces. Racing against familiar foes makes strategy easier. But this race it wouldn't matter.
At the "GO!" I tried to get some power from my legs...but nothing. I could pedal of course, but the power to actually race, I failed. I was able to hang on the back of the main group, but as the first lap progressed, I watched them pull farther and farther away from me. I just couldn't muster anything resembling an attack or even a faster pace.
My only two solid positive take-away's were that I descended really fast and in good control; and I was able to clean everything even though I was totally blasted on lap two. Now I just have to build my power and energy for race two in one month. Better luck next time right?

View of the Key Hole Wash a famous part of the course
More deep wash racing
Plenty of super sweet fast singletrack
 Some big rock steps to get up at race pace...fhew!
THE big double step. Hardest move on the whole course! Cleaned this baby both times...
Lots of guys were making excuses before line up time...including me
I am coming up the first steep little hill behind Mike. Mike is on my team and in my same category. We battled back and forth to the extent we wounded warriors could on lap one. Mike fell behind as cramps began to hit him.



More scenes of me trying my best...which wasn't really that good
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments: