Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Adventures in Motherhood

I've been told at every point in a mothers life she does something unintentional and scary- like leave her toddler in the nursery at church, forget to pick up a kid from school, lock a kid in the car. My initiation into motherhood began with the later.



On Monday morning I got J ready to go to the pediatrician. Even though we had PLENTY of time, I was still rushing around because I HATE to be late (and in my book, early is on time, on time is late). I walked out the the car (parked on the street not in our driveway because I had parked C in the night before), unlocked it with the remote, tossed my keys and the diaper bag up front, put J in and closed the doors. I went to get in the drivers seat and realized "OH CRAP!", I locked the baby in the car. Since neither of my nextdoor neighbors were home I broke the window with a rock from my flower beds. The baby is fine (she was locked in for maybe a minute, minute and a half at most), I'm still a little shaken, and my arm has several small cuts and scrapes. It was scary, but I don't think it's likely I'll make that mistake again! Ah, motherhood really is a trial by fire sometimes, isn't it?

7 comments:

JAMIE said...

ahh man, that's a scary mommy moment! You handled yourself well.

Alicia said...

In Orem if you call the police they will send an officer out to open your car without breaking it...but then it might just be better to not to involve the police with your baby involved! Don't worry, I am still trying to remember to actually buckle Garrick in the baby carrier before I leave anywhere.

kjSmith said...

Extra keys, hidden everywhere: priceless!

Sarah Burrell said...

I would have called the police but I locked my phone in the car along with everything else and neither of my immediate neighbors were home. I have plans to make copies of keys (have to go to the dealer or a lock smith) and those key hider things. Believe me, I won't make the same mistake twice though....

RitaP said...

Been there, done that with a running car. Don't beat yourself up. The important thing is you and your daughter are safe and car's can be fixed. At least you didn't leave her sitting in her carseat on the dining room table and realize she wasn't in the car when you got to the doctors. I heard that happen once to a friend of mine.

Kimberly said...

I've thought through that situation many times--"What if I locked her in the car?!"--and I've always decided that I'd break the window with a rock (can't wait for the police to arrive on a hot summer day in Michigan). But I was never sure if the window would actually break--now I know! Glad everything is OK and safe.

Sarah Burrell said...

It's amazing how much force you can generate when you go into full blown mommy mode. My arm is a little cut up, but J was fine.