Wednesday, January 21, 2009

12 Weeks

I went to see Dr Watabe this afternoon for much anticipated 12 week appointment. I was SO nervous. Fortunately I'm blessed with an amazing obstetrician with about the best bedside manner ever. THe first thing he did when he walked in the room was use the doppler to find baby's heart beat. He said once we heard that he knew I'd breath easier and boy was he right. It took him a minute to find the heart beat, but as he was looking he reassured me that it usually takes a little bit. Once he found it and I heard that "thump, thump, thump" fill the room I felt my whole body completely relax. I've never heard such a beautiful sound and he let us sit there and listen to it for several minutes. I did have to chuckle a little bit because apparently our baby is already quite active and he kept having to deposition the doppler to find baby again. Must be our child, I don't think Christian or I is capable of sitting still for very long.

He also did a physical exam today and reassured me that everything looks and feels completely normal for 12 weeks. He also said that he anticipates a healthy, uncomplicated pregnancy. I do get to see him again in two weeks, mostly to reassure me that everything is going well (with a patient with my history of miscarriage this is common for him to do). I also go off the heparin and progesterone at 14 weeks as well, so again it's to reassure me that everything is going well.
Although I'm rapidly falling out of the high risk category and into the normal pregnancy category he will still continue to monitor my pregnancy closely for awhile.

He eased another worry of mine: back pain. I've been spiking pains in my upper and lower back for a few weeks now and have been paranoid that this is a warning sign. I mentioned it to the nurse (well, medical assistant actually) on Monday and she said it was much too early for this symptom. Dr Watabe wasn't thrilled when I told him this, and told me that back pain is a part of pregnancy and is perfectly normal for the first trimest. Unfortunately he also told me that it will most likely continue for the duration of my pregnancy so lucky me.

I'm actually starting to let myself get excited about being pregnant now. I'll probably wait awhile to do any shopping, but I'm getting excited to buy baby stuff and maternity clothes! But for now, I'm off to take a warm shower and then bed. :-) It's been an exciting day!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Yipee!!! We are so excited for you guys! You will always remember that first sound of the heartbeat-amazing isn't it?!! I'm glad you found a good OB, My first one made me feel like I was one of the cows going through the chute to be branded, it is so much nicer going to someone who will explain everything, and pay attention to your concerns.

Sarah Burrell said...

I think with Dr Watabe it makes a lot of difference that he's young. He can't be more than 36 (and if he is he looks really good for his age). We did get to hear the heart beat at 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 weeks, but at 12 weeks it makes all the difference.