News flash; I'm pregnant. I've been trying to wait until after my 12 week appointment to post about this pregnancy, but I have time today and a ton on my mind. Actually, Christian and I have been "trying" to wait until I am 12 weeks along to tell "a lot" of people, but we've failed miserably at this for the third pregnancy in a row.
I've been understandably nervous about this pregnancy from the very beginning. When I took the pregnancy test at the end of November I expected a negative result. After all, it took us 8 months the first time around and 15 months the second time around and we'd only been trying again for 4 months. With my history of miscarriage I've been a little hesitant to get excited or attached to this baby, but I think my efforts were pretty futile... it's impossible not to get attached. After I got the positive result I made an immediate call to my doctor who ordered several blood tests (to confirm pregnancy and check progesterone levels) and two prescriptions. I'm taking progesterone daily, and also have to give myself heparin shots twice a day in my stomach. These shots are NOT fun, and they hurt! I'd post a picture of my bruised belly, but it's not a pretty sight. The heparin is a precautionary measure that goes back to the blood test I had after my last miscarriage that showed a clotting factor abnormality. Basically they think my blood is clotting too easily. Heparin is an anticoagulant that slows the clotting process, lowering my chances that I'll form a small clot, too small to harm me, but big enough to stop baby's blood supply.
I did start to feel a little less nervous at my 7 week ultra sound when we heard baby's heartbeat. and I felt even better when the nurse called to tell me that I didn't have to come back in until my 12 week appointment. This is a MAJOR milestone for me since with both previous pregnancies the 7 week ultrasound showed no heartbeat. Somehow in the last 4 weeks I've gotten really nervous again about how baby is doing. I see the doctor on Wednesday for my 12 week and hopefully that eases my nerves a little. The biggest question on my mind though is "when will I STOP worrying about baby?" Will I ever?
The other question constantly on my mind is "when will I actually LOOK pregnant"? To the average observer I probably still look as trim as ever. I notice a few physical changes, but to most people I don't look anything close to pregnant. In fact, someone actually stopped me at church on sunday (who by the way didn't know about the pregnancy) and asked me how I stay so thin. My immediate thought? You try being so constantly nauseous that you can hardly eat and throw up any substantial amount of food you manage to get down.
Anyway, this is turning out to be a VERY LONG post.... stay tuned for more.
Butterbeer
9 years ago
4 comments:
Congrats, momma!
I hope things continue to go as smoothly as they can!
I'm really hoping that a successful appointment next week will calm your nerves a bit. It's so difficult when they're so mini to know exactly how things are going in their nearly telescopic world. I'm sure it's 12 gazillion times more difficult for you. How nice it would be to have your own monitor at home & hear baby's heartbeat any time you're feeling anxious. Maybe someday, someone will be so clever. I was small like you with my pregnancies, especially the first. No one ever believed I was pregnant until I woke up one morning, around 4 1/2 months, and poof!...I finally had a bump. I can't wait to see yours just appear out of nowhere. I'm certain once you feel movement, you'll relax a lot. Then baby will be able to tell you all the time that things are just peachy in there. I'm excited you posted about it, even though it's a few days early. :) I'm about 50% positive next Sat will work. I just have to check on one thing to know for sure, then I'll text you. Loved reading your post. You are amazing Sarah. You deserve all the happiness in the world. Holy crizzapp on your grades by the way missy. In my dreams...3.95 GPA is it? Teach me oh wise one. The End.
I will break that blogspot comment length record if it's the last thing I do!
Wow Sarah this is really exciting. I'm happy that your baby was healthy and you got to hear the heartbeat at 7 weeks, and pray that he/she will continue to be doing well. I didn't start to look pregnant until about 4 months at least, 5 months was when people could start to really tell. I'm sure you'll be just adorable when you have your baby bump!
Post a Comment