(Where we raced this weekend!) How rad is Utah mountain biking?!)
So I've worked REALLY hard this last winter. And so I've had a little success in the first three races. But let's be honest...it was time to move up to Cat 2. I wanted some wins as a reward for my hard work, but I didn't want to be "that guy". Last year, several really strong riders stayed down all season long. Some of these guys could easily finish consistently in the top ten of Cat 2. But whatever, here I was trying to get warmed up for twice the distance, at a much faster pace on climbs longer and steeper than I had done before. Fun times.
(We begin to arrive but the team tarp is already up and waiting for us!)
As I was warming up I realized that my front suspension was going to be an issue today. Earlier in the week, my suspension began to suck down. I was told that having to pump up your shocks every once in a while was a normal thing, so I didn't worry about it much. But after a pre-ride on Wednesday, they were sucking back down again! I was honestly pretty worried. I was riding really well, but I was worried that an expensive fix (that I couldn't afford) might knock me out before I could even line up. NO!
Several team members (and Dennis of some other team...) tried to help me get it worked out. But after we pumped it up again and it sucked one more time during a warm-up loop we concluded that an o-ring was leaking air from the positive to the negative. Grrr!!! We decided to pump it back up again and try riding with it locked out the whole time.
So I lined up and tried to stop thinking about it. What would this start be like? We were lined up on a paved road but looking right up a steep grade to shake out. It was going to be tough no matter the pace, but I was a little worried that this group would leave me in the dust right from the start.
I heard the "GO!" and hopped into my brand new Eggbeater 3 pedals! A single rider bolted way out in front immediate and sped away from us hard (I guess even Cat 2 get "sandbagged" a little ;)). A chase group formed quickly, but I settled into a main group as we hit the singletrack.
(Here I am just trying to survive the shake out climb up the steep paved road)
The single track was incredible! Racing through the woods at high speed over roots and rocks faster than I ever thought I could was a thrill. But it was narrow...very narrow. Almost no room for passing at all unless they decide to step off.
(Amazing trail! But you can see the difficulty in passing)
The first few miles found me at the head of a line of riders moving fast to keep the chase group close. The pace was intense! We passed an exposed section of trail that had a very steep downhill side. The price was so steep on this back side trail that nobody tried anything stupid.
(You can't really see it, but that's about a thousand foot drop on the left!)
We came to another forested area and began to get slowed down by riders from a different Cat. By this time, there were about 10 of us all working together to push the pace, but several of these riders ahead of us, were being stubborn and refused to move over for us. After a considerable amount of yelling, we finally got these few jerks out of the way (trust me...it took way longer than was considerate!). The trail began to switchback and climb again, but we kept up our pace. I had worked hard to figure out my gearing and it was paying off.
(fun little log pile we had to jump)
We began to see plenty of "technicals" ending the riders day early. Luckily for me, my suspension seemed to be holding ok, but I couldn't put it out of my mind.
We reached a nice recovery DH on doubletrack. But I couldn't let my speed top out. I was so worried about my fork. I started to think about the long techy DH I would be doing in a few more miles, and whether or not I would have to pull out due to the bike.
Next I reached the part that everyone dreaded. A long brutal grassy canyon climb. Why this stretch was on the course, I have no idea. I tried to pound a CocoNut here for the calories. But I was breathing so heavy that I couldn't chew. So I let it soak in my cheek for a little bit until I could swallow it with water. I downed about half my bottle here knowing that I would hit the DH soon.
(The end of the long annoying grass climb...did i really have to do this twice?)
Some more steep switchback finally got me to the top...another fast swig of water (laced with Carbo-rocket for the first time). Had my suspension been solid, I would've been super excited for this, but it got me a little gripped.
(Take a good look at my fork in the last photo here. Can you see how low my fork had sucked down? LAME!)
I endured the extra bouncing as much as I could, and hit the road that the bottom kinda ok. The group had spread out by now and I was kinda alone again.
We had to climb all the way back up the road to the lap/finish line. When I finally reached it, I almost went to the finish side (out of habit). It did feel kinda cool to pedal right past it though. My wife was there again and gave me some good yells of encouragement; which helped. I spotted a friend of mine up ahead and I decided I could spin up to him. Paul was a lifesaver! He wasn't having a good day, but was able to pace me for about a mile. I admit it that mentally I was so tired. I was still trying to figure out how to pace myself for twice the distance, but this helped me to actually recover. But Paul let me get on his tire and saved my bacon. On the backside exposed trail Paul asked me to pass. I was feeling pretty good now and decided to push the pace again. There were several riders behind me (but I had no idea which group they were with) so I was able to judge my speed ok.
The grassy hill felt like torture, but I was able to clean the whole thing. I tried to down a bunch of water from bottle #2 (thanks Elisa for the pass at the lap!), but the breathing was still a little too high to be comfortable. I tried several times to check my fork. I really didn't want to bail now. I was about to hit the DH and I might be in a ribbon position for my first Cat 2 race! If I could manage my lines and speed, I might just do it.
(How did I get down this with basically no travel on the fork?!)
I spotted a rider catching me that I knew was in my group. I really didn't think I could hold him off with my bike's condition, so I invited him to pass me. But he called back that he was done and encouraged me to just go. Oh well.
Part way down I was feeling really good. I was able to glance back and I was starting to open a gap on the previously mentioned rider. I decided to stand and try to drop him. But then it happened. The second I stood up I was hit by two insane cramps in both legs! OUCH! I feverishly tried to rub the cramp out before the guy could catch me. Nothing for it; I reached another switchback and felt the bike start to slip. I had no legs to control the slide and embarrassingly went right down. I stood up and tried to rub the legs as hard as I could, but there the guy was...and right by he went. I took a huge drag on my water and hopped back on my bike. I could coast quickly and maybe get the cramp out before the final, horrible climb.
I survived the DH and hit the last big hill. I saw the guy at what looked to be a catch-able distance. I stood up again and BANG! Another cramp! AHHHHH!!! I was finished. I shifted to total granny and just spun my way up accepting my defeat. I crossed the line in 7th place though. In other words, I had let a ribbon slip out of my fingers thanks to cramps. Now I need to figure that out.
So, sorry everybody. There is no podium picture for me this time. But I still felt the extra satisfaction from finishing the extra distance as well as I did. I did much better than I expected to, but if I can't get the bike fixed and the cramps worked out...this may be all I can do. Well, until next time everyone!
BTW: Rick had an amazing race! He took first in his Cat in our first race this year at high altitude. This is very impressive. I think he's just showing off.
Here is a video from two season ago for anyone who wants to see what the race looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voJkWH1KwCY
Butterbeer
9 years ago
1 comments:
I just checked the results and times for the race. I've decided I was having a "normal" day (if normal means wanting to cry and throw up at the same time). My time was about what I expected it would be; looks like I'll get to race with you on a regular basis. Thanks for the encouragement, but I felt like I was holding you back; looks like I was right.
Paul
Post a Comment