I got Christian to agree to go to Babies R Us with me tonight and while I had him there we decided to set up our baby registry. I was worried it was a little early, but my Mom and a few others have been asking me about it and encouraging me to go register, so I did. The girl at the counter was really helpful and reassured us that we could register whenever we wanted (and that a lot of people come register right after they find out what they're having). I've been on their website almost constantly the past few months looking at stuff and pretty much knew what I wanted anyway, so I figured "why not". It was pretty fun until the very end. We were looking at gliders and one of the sales associates came over to ask us if we had any questions. And then he had the gall to take one look at me, give me a dirty look, and tell me that it was "WAY too early for me to register". I said something to the effect of "I don't think so", which prompted him to ask my due date and then insist AGAIN that we were jumping the gun. I didn't feel like arguing with someone who was supposedly there to help so I semi-politely thanked him for his opinion (I think I actually said "thanks for your opinion, but I could have done without it"...) and walked back up to the registry counter to return my clicker. It shouldn't have upset me. It's my baby, my pregnancy, and my business what I do, but I ended up bursting into tears in the parking lot and crying the entire drive home. I'm chalking my emotions up to pregnancy hormones, but seriously, where do people I don't even know get off passing judgement on me? What could make a sales associate think they could tell a customer that they should't do something? I'm still a little peeved about it to be honest... as if you couldn't tell from the rambling blog post. But seriously- I just don't understand some people! It's bad enough that everyone who finds out I'm pregnant comments about how tiny I still am (as if I'm lying about how far along I am? I don't get it). Ok Sarah, deep breath and relax.
At any rate, we're registered (thankfully his comment came after I had clicked every thing I wanted)....
Butterbeer
9 years ago
7 comments:
Rude people. My response would have probably been something like...
I feel like registering now and not when I'm huge and can hardly walk around the store. Thank you very much. Now get out of my way.
Actually that would have been the response that I thought of after I already left the store. I hate how that happens.
Sarah, I was eight month pregnant and I was still wearing my levis with my first one. I carried my babies way back into myself, I never poped out like some people do, so don't fret. It may be the same with you. Just know the baby is there, and don't worry what other people say.
I try not to worry about what other people say, but sometimes I'm just so sensitive. It's taken us a long time to get here and I just want to be happy and excited- I feel like I've earned that and not others criticisim. :-)
That is so lame...20 weeks is so not too early to register. Sometimes they say that because products change, but really, that only affects clothes. And people don't usually pay attention to registries when it comes to clothes anyway (alas...) :) Don't worry about the not showing very much bit...it happened with me, too...I'm sure we'll want it back next pregnancy :) You deserve to be very excited!! This is such a fun time!
Thanks Kimberly! :-) It's always nice to hear that I'm not the only one who's been in the "I swear I really am pregnant- no really, I am" club. :-)
I figure with my registry if things become unavailable I can always update the registry. Seems logical to me anyway. :-)
How rude! He doesn't know anything.
I'm glad you asked me about the baby signing books because I do have some recommendations.
"Baby sign language basics" By Monta Briant- This is a great introduction to baby sign.
"Sign, Sing, and Play!" is a good one that shows you how to incorporate signing into games and daily activities. This author is really great. She is a mom who taught sign to both of her babies.
Also, I don't know if you are planning on breast-feeding but I have the best book recommendation for that! "New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding" By the American Academy of Pediatrics. I read this book before Donovan was born and it help tremendously.
Cori you're awesome! These recommendations help so much! I'm going to go look for the baby signing book and the breast feeding book. I actually have been looking for a good breastfeeding book as well! :-) I love fellow moms, you're so helpful!
Post a Comment