Friday, November 23, 2007

My blood runs maize and blue

HAIL, HAIL, to MICHIGAN the Leaders and the BEST!


This is a personal soap box. Most of you know that I grew up in Michigan and that I will cheer and defend my Wolverines any day of the week (even despite records and humiliating losses). Now, I know that after the season the Michigan Wolverines have had, especially with our 4th loss in a row to Ohio State (grrr... die, Buckeyes, die!)Coach Lloyd Carr's retirement announcement on Monday came as no surprise. Even so, to me Coach Carr's retirement feels like the end of an era. I was in elementary school when Schembechler was king, and despite Moellers short term as head coach of the Wolverines, Lloyd Carr has been the coach at Michigan for as long as I can remember. He's a great man, a great coach, and his retirement is well deserved. For those of you who care (and I realize I'm probably writing only for myself here, but bear with me. I grew up 20 minutes from the Big House and my blood runs as maize and blue as they come), here are just a few higlights from Carr's term as head coach in Ann Arbor, the greatest city on earth.

  • 5 big ten titles
  • First U of M coach to win 4 straight bowl games
  • 1997 National Champs with Nebraska
  • 3rd winningest coach at Michigan behind Schembecler and Yost
  • And he boasts one of the best records among UMich coaches against our top three rivals (Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan State).

The only questions is who will step up to the plate next? Whoever it is certainly has big shoes to fill.

Hail to the victors valiant, hail to the conquering heros. Hail , Hail to Michigan the leaders of the west.
Hail to the victors valiant, HAIL to the conquering heros. Hail, Hail, to Michigan the leaders and the best!

1 comments:

Lex said...

Yay! Go Blue! You know that I care. ;)